As more and more companies strive to set sustainability goals, "zero waste" is often one of them. In this section you will find:
Blogs: Read expert interviews and opinion pieces about what it takes to go beyond zero waste to landfill.
Tips:Steve Walker, Manager of Environmental Sustainability for Burt’s Bees Inc. shares his tips for starting the “zero waste” journey.
Videos: See how Shaw Industries and Burt’s Bees Inc. are addressing their zero waste.
Webinar: "Waste Management for the 21st Century: Zero Landfill and Beyond." This Webinar from November 2010 features case studies by:
- Mike Lloyd, Director, Global Environmental Services, Kimberly-Clark Corp.
- Steve Walker, Manager, Environmental Sustainability, Burt's Bees Inc.
David Wilkerson, Corporate Director, Sustainability and Product Stewardship, Shaw Industries
The following are expert interviews and opinion pieces from The Green Tie blog:
Throwing Away the Dumpster
An interview with Steve Walker, Manager of Environmental Sustainability for Burt’s Bees Inc. about how the company achieved zero waste to landfill.
Waste Management for the 21st Century
By Mike Lloyd,
Manager, Global Environmental Services for Kimberly-Clark Corp.
7 Tips for Starting the Zero Waste Journey
By Steve Walker, Manager of Environmental Sustainability, Burt’s Bees Inc.
For those of you thinking about tackling the zero waste challenge, here are a few quick tips to get you started:
- List all of your wastes, including by-products
- Weigh the waste for instant data
- Focus on reductions first—both volume and cost
- Identify what can be recycled along with what is recycled in your area
- Find firm(s) that can take your by-products and help eliminate other wastes
- Focus on the “big rocks” for big impacts
- Never ever stop looking for opportunities to improve
Shaw Contract Group & Evergreen Cradle to Cradle Recycling
Learn how Shaw Industries has created a closed-loop product cycle.
Burt’s Bees Dumpster Day 2008
Watch how Burt’s Bees got employees engaged in their zero waste efforts.
Click here to download a copy of the "Waste Management for the 21st Century" webinar.