Be part of an exciting non-profit organization that empowers corporate leaders to advance environmental stewardship, create safe and healthy workplaces, and promote global sustainability.
Position Description: NAEM Senior Educational Program Manager
NAEM is a national nonprofit professional development organization that works to advance corporate environmental, health, safety and sustainability excellence. With a network of over 2500 individual members and more than 85 leading corporate members, NAEM supports the continued learning of corporate Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) and Sustainability leaders through the development of high-calibre management-focused training courses, web seminars and conferences as well as research and market analysis and a vibrant peer-to-peer network.
A growing Washington, DC-based organization, NAEM offers the successful candidate an opportunity to work on a variety of important private sector environmental policy and sustainability management issues. The position has potential for growth and the Association provides a flexible and supportive working environment.
Conference Execution: The Senior Program Manager (SPM) is responsible for leading the development and implementation of the Association's three issue specific conferences which address a range of corporate environmental, health, safety and sustainability management issues. Specifically, this requires the candidate to determine relevant program topics, convene and manage program development committees, develop event agendas and schedules, write all program copy, identify and invite speakers and moderators, and ensure the highest quality learning content is delivered at the event. This role also requires the candidate coordinates with the Marketing Manager and Communications Manager to help develop related marketing and communication materials, and to conduct outreach for the events.
Annual Forum Support: The SMP will also work closely with the Deputy Director to support the program development for the association's annual Fall Forum attended by approximately 600 professionals. The primary work involved will be committee management and speaker identification and management.
Other Activities: The SPM will be involved in researching and implementing advances in adult learning practices, leveraging content from learning programs to build the Association's online learning library, and helping to identify opportunities to expand the overall Association learning program offerings.
Primary Responsibility Areas:
Project and Budget Management: Incorporating the logistical coordination with content development, a successful candidate will manage each learning program in a systematic way as an individual and complete project. This will include setting and ensuring all timeline deliverables are met, managing and meeting the event revenue and expense goals, and coordinating between different members of the NAEM staff, including the Marketing Manager, IT Manager and Communications Manager. It will also require working with volunteer program advisors and senior program staff to incorporate their input into program development.
Research and Issues Tracking: The Senior Program Manager is responsible for helping maintain and update the association's database of key EHS and sustainability news and information outlets. They will also share the role of tracking and summarizing important developments, trends and best practices in the EHS and Sustainability policies and corporate practices, keeping the staff informed of such developments.
Strategic Planning: A successful candidate will assist with short and long-term strategic planning related to Association learning programs. This includes helping to develop, implement and track progress against the learning program objectives developed by the NAEM senior staff, the preparation of periodic operational review reports; and handling of periodic requests for information from supervisors and Board members.
Event Planning: The Senior Program manager will be responsible for managing all timelines, logistics, contracts and costs associated with each learning event. This will include working closely with a consultant that supports NAEM on event logistics, as well as hotel and corporate hosts to arrange logistical details for events, and managing hotel blocks, catering and transportation as necessary.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will:
- A strong desire to work in corporate sustainability and a good literacy for the topic and stakeholders.
- Have an undergraduate or advanced degree. Preferred areas include but are not limited to sustainability management, business administration, nonprofit management or environmental policy
- Have 3-4 years of relevant work experience
- Possess excellent writing, research and communication skills
- Posses exceptional personal organization and attention to detail
- Be able to take individual initiative as well as work with a team to implement successful learning programs
- Be comfortable cultivating relationships with and networks of NGO leaders, corporate managers and policy makers to stay abreast of emerging environmental business issues and develop high quality learning programs
- Travel 5-8 times a year domestically, by plane.
- Frequent lifting and carrying of conference materials and boxes weighing 10-20 pounds across conference venues for various events.
- Frequent reaching above shoulder and head, and stooping to set up conference space collateral. This can include kneeling under a table to obtain access to electrical outlets.
- Needs to remain actively mobile for up to 10 hours a day while at conferences.
Salary and Starting Benefits
The salary range for this position depends on experience.
- Full health and dental insurance
- Employee retirement savings plan with matching funds available after one year
- 2 weeks paid vacation to start
- A flexible work environment
Please send resume, cover letter and any other pertinent samples of work to NAEM's search leader, Samantha Leighton (email@example.com). No phone calls please.
Download this job description as a PDF