People Leave Great Companies Because of Poor Leadership
- I am really enthusiastic about the mission of my company.
- At work, I clearly understand what's expected of me.
- In my team, I am surrounded by people who share my values.
- I have the chance to use my strengths every day at work.
- My teammates have my back.
- I know I will be recognized for excellent work.
- I have confidence in my company's future.
- In my work, I am always challenged to grow.
Barbara Kellerman4 reminds us that "we all long for leaders whose primary purpose is our best interest — not theirs. Leadership is not a profession. Nor is it, or ought to be, a stepping stone to, say, money or power or authority or even influence. Rather, it is a mission."
We are all Leaders or Followers at sometime or another. Wherever we find ourselves, may we contribute joyously to a cause bigger than ourselves.
- "Bad Leadership: What It Is, How It Happens, Why It Matters", 2004; "Followership: How Followers Are Creating Change and Changing Leaders", 2008; and "The End of Leadership", 2012.
- "Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader's Guide to the Real World", 2019
- "First, Break All The Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently", 1999
- "Hard Times: Leadership in America", 2014