FAQ - NAEM Excellence Awards
What is the purpose of NAEM Excellence Awards?
NAEM Excellence Awards exist to recognize and elevate leaders in the corporate environmental, health and safety, and/or sustainability (EHS&S) community as well as showcase best practices of EHS&S management in corporations.
What are the award categories?
- NAEM's Lifetime Achievement Award is a prestigious annual award honoring an individual's contribution to his/her company and the EHS&S fields. It recognizes an EHS&S leader whose vision and commitment has positively shaped the EHS&S field within a corporate management role.
- NAEM's Leadership in Action Awards recognize EHS&S leaders whose influence and commitment have elevated the prioritization and impact of EHS&S initiatives within their organizations.
- NAEM's NexGen Leaders Awards recognize rising EHS&S managers who possess the talent and skills required for the next generation of EHS&S industry leadership
Who is eligible to be nominated?
For the Lifetime Achievement Award, nominees should meet the following criteria:
- 20+ years of exceptional environmental, health and safety, and/or sustainability performance, currently serving as an in-house EHS&S leader. (Retired executives who worked part of 2019 are eligible.)
- Distinguished service and leadership within the EHS&S profession.
- Demonstrated impact on organizational performance.
- Proven leadership effectiveness in the development of EHS&S professionals.
- Commitment to industry advancements and lifelong learning.
For a Leadership in Action Award, nominees should meet the following criteria:
- Accomplished corporate EHS&S leader/manager with a minimum of 15 years of experience in the fields of environment, health and safety, and/or sustainability.
- Champion of EHS&S initiatives through resources and funding.
- Driver of transformational change to elevate EHS&S priorities across the organization.
- Reputation for developing and mentoring EHS&S talent.
- Commitment to EHS&S stewardship, professionally and personally.
For a NexGen Leaders Award, nominees should meet the following criteria:
- High-potential corporate professional with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the fields of environment, health and safety, and/or sustainability.
- Influence as an emerging EHS&S leader within his/her organization.
- Demonstrated results within area of responsibility.
- Proven decision-making and/or problem solving ability.
- Dedication to professional development.
- Commitment to the EHS&S industry.
Can anyone submit a nomination form?
For the NexGen Leaders Awards, nominators must be the supervisor/mentor of person being nominated; or, a company executive where person being nominated is employed.
Nominators and nominees need not be members of NAEM.
Can I nominate more than one person?
Yes. But you will need to complete a separate nomination for each nominee.
Is there a word count limit for the nomination responses?
Yes. Each required response is limited to a maximum of 500 words.
Are letters of recommendation required?
For the Lifetime Achievement Award, we ask that you submit three letters of recommendation. For the Leadership in Action Award, we ask that you submit one letter of recommendation. All letters of recommendation must be written by individuals other than the nominator.
When does the nomination period close?
Nominations must be submitted by midnight (PST) on Friday, May 22, 2020.
How do I submit a nomination?
You can submit using the online nomination form or a downloadable PDF nomination form and email it upon completion. Both formats of the nomination forms are available here.
Is there a fee to nominate?
No. For 2020, no nomination fee is required.
Who will be judging the awards?
Nominees will be evaluated by an independent panel of judges. Neither NAEM nor its sponsors will influence the selection of award recipients.
Will there be an awards ceremony?
Yes. Award recipients will be recognized during NAEM’s 2020 EHS&S Management Forum in Fort Worth, Texas at our Awards Ceremony Luncheon.
Will award recipients receive any other recognition or benefits?
Yes. Award recipients and their companies will receive the following recognition and benefits.
- Profiles of award recipients and their companies will be featured in all of NAEM’s content channels, including NAEM’s blog, publications and e-newsletter that goes out to 13,500+ EHS&S professionals.
- Profiles of award recipients, including photos and companies, will appear on NAEM’s website, receiving 1,000+ impressions each week.
- Award recipients and their respective companies will be recognized on-stage during the awards ceremony luncheon and in the conference app at NAEM’s 2020 EHS&S Management Forum.
- A commemorative award will be presented to each recipient during the awards ceremony luncheon.
- All award recipients will receive a complimentary conference registration to NAEM's EHS&S Management Forum.
- All award recipients and two representatives from each respective company will be invited to a complimentary networking dinner at NAEM's EHS&S Management Forum.
- Award recipients may also be asked to participate in panel discussions at NAEM's EHS&S Management Forum and other NAEM programs throughout 2020-2021.
When will award recipients know if they’ve been selected?
Award recipients and/or finalists will be notified prior to NAEM's 2020 EHS&S Management Forum so that they can arrange travel to attend the awards ceremony. Public announcement of NAEM Excellence Award recipients will occur in October 2020 at NAEM’s 2020 Forum.